Gilles and The Sleep of Reason

Since September I've been taking two Art History courses, and while I find them absolutely fascinating the work it's self has not been my style. The closer my class gets to viewing contemporary work the more I find myself enjoying the artist's and their work. So I thought it would be a good change for me to show some work that I liked rather than show my own work.



The first painting is from Watteau and is entiteld "Gilles (comedia del arte)". Watteau painted during the 18th Century prior to the French Revolution. His other works were typical to the time in which he painted Aristocrats in a Rococo fashion.



The second image I viewed this week caught me partially with it's title. It is Francisco Goya y Luciendes' "The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters". It is an etching from 18th Century Spain produced before his Disaster's of War series.

No comments: