The thing about Education



The thing about education is that as an Undergrad at Juniata College I found it to be unrewarding and boring. It was like stepping through the hoops for steppings sake. There were the required courses for my major and even my major, at this point in time, doesn't seem to be doing much for me. I would always say that the educational system is flawed and that I would never attend Grad School, it would be a waste of money and time.

What I'm discovering as a Continuing Education major at Indiana University of Pennsylvania is that now that I've stepped through the previous "hoop" I'm much more comfortable and excited to learn and to be constantly learning. There are so many things, techniques, styles, critique, discussion, writing, presentation, history, artists, and research that would have previously seemed boring. But now I have this passion to learn and absorb everything my professors are saying, to follow what they teach and treat every single class as being taught something substantial (no matters it's size).

If everyone viewed art with the same intensity and curiousity as Da Vinci, people wouldn't simply brush aside the arts. When art is done right it involves all the things I mentioned above and it becomes a much deeper subject. To really want to learn art you have to have a curiousity and passion for what youre doing and youre subject, which in turn will greatly enhance your voice in your work.

No comments: